BIND 9.4.2-P2-W1 stops responding

Thomas Schulz schulz at adi.com
Mon Sep 8 20:57:41 UTC 2008

In article <ga3j5p$2apd$1 at sf1.isc.org>,  <midintertech at gmail.com> wrote:
>On Sep 6, 8:16 am, "Jukka Pakkanen" <jukka.pakka... at qnet.fi> wrote:
>> Would have been very nice to know immediately when you made the decision of
>> dropping Windows 2000 users from your supportes list... we have been
>> patiently waiting for the fixes to the completely broken windows code for
>> weeks, since it was supposed to come "very soon" and "in days"... and now we
>> get a lakonic statement "W2K is no longer supported"... :(
>>
>> In a couple of weeks the ISC BIND has gone from "the best and most trouble
>> free piece of software ever" to "useless" to us. That's sad.
>>
>> Well, need to start looking for other options, upgrading all our, and our
>> clients DNS servers to W2K3 just to support the DNS software really is not
>> an option.
>>
>> Jukka
>
>Yeah aint that a nice kickinthepants... Sorry no new bind for yous if
>you arent made of moneybags and running the latest windoze!  Guess we
>will start looking at djbdns, it didnt have the bugs in the first
>place. Or switch back to windozedns.. oh no.. did I say that??

Please note that this is not a bug in bind, but a bug in the underlying
protocol.  djbdns will have this bug.  So too will the windows domain
name server.  Has a new version of djbdns been released?  Will Microsoft
be issuing a patch for Windows 2000?  Windows 2000 is past end of life
from Microsoft's point of view.

--
Tom Schulz
schulz at adi.com