BIND 9.4.x and max-clients-per-query

Fr34k freaknetboy at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 8 17:13:53 UTC 2008

Hello,

"07-Sep-2008 19:47:14.187 resolver: clients-per-query increased to 70"

70 clients per query seems pretty high to me.
I think slow, and bogus, lookups can contribute to this.

In our environment, we use:
 clients-per-query 10 ;
 max-clients-per-query 20 ;

I would also check that the network is clean: no interface errors on server or switch, etc.

There may also be bots, and such, driving up DNS traffic in attempts to propagate abuse.
Typically, hundreds of MX lookups from DHCP workstations indicate such malware infections.
Once upon a time, someone pointed me to a Surf net document on using DNS as IDS -- which has some other great ideas.
Anyway, the goal is innoculating infected hosts to stop bogus traffic.

I hope this helps.