Bind 9.4.2 not resolving one domain

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Thu Sep 4 14:37:06 UTC 2008

There are other known examples. One that springs to mind is:

www.microsoft.com.	3063	IN	CNAME	toggle.www.ms.akadns.net.
toggle.www.ms.akadns.net. 58	IN	CNAME	g.www.ms.akadns.net.
g.www.ms.akadns.net.	58	IN	CNAME	lb1.www.ms.akadns.net.
lb1.www.ms.akadns.net.	58	IN	A	65.55.11.222
lb1.www.ms.akadns.net.	58	IN	A	207.46.19.190
lb1.www.ms.akadns.net.	58	IN	A	207.46.19.254
lb1.www.ms.akadns.net.	58	IN	A	207.46.193.254
lb1.www.ms.akadns.net.	58	IN	A	65.55.21.250
lb1.www.ms.akadns.net.	58	IN	A	207.46.192.254

However, this is still only two main lookup chains, instead of three
like www.yahoo.com.ar. I count around 8 lookups (minimum) to get this
answer when starting with an empty cache.

I would be more inclined to suspect network connectivity problems with
the lookup you're having problems with. With that many lookups, each
one needs to complete in a reasonable amount of time - 50 ms on
average, or thereabouts, to complete the whole thing in 5 seconds. How
is your connection to the various servers involved? These are the
servers authoritative for:

.
ar.
com.ar.
yahoo.com.ar.
com.
yahoo.com.
g1.b.yahoo.com.
a1.b.yahoo.com.

Note that yahoo.com.ar and yahoo.com are served by the same servers.
Also, the last item is hosted on a subset of the same servers as the
next-to-last item.

Chris Buxton
Professional Services
Men & Mice