Memory and AIX 5.3

Gary Bennett benngl at shands.ufl.edu
Tue Sep 2 18:52:17 UTC 2008

Have installed and used both 9.4.2-P2 and 9.5.0-P2 on an AIX 5.3 (06-05-080
6) system w/1.9G memory.  W/each version, the named continues to use more
and more memory over time, until we are no longer able to reload the
server b/c it is out of memory.

Interestingly, when it fails, the process changes from the full command
line chrooted call:

/usr/local/sbin/named -u named -t /chroot/named -c /etc/named.conf

to simply

[named]

At that point, trying to reload the server fails b/c it can no longer "find" the
configuration file.  Although the server continues to answer all requests,
it may no longer be reloaded to accept new changes.

My current value of max-cache-size is set to 700m.   Any suggestions or
ideas would be greatly appreciated.  At the current time, I am scheduling
it to stop/start twice per day so that we don't have these issues.  TIA.

gary