About error/warning found on the server

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Fri Oct 31 02:36:47 UTC 2008

In article <gedobb$1aei$1 at sf1.isc.org>, Stephen Liu <satimis at yahoo.com>
wrote:

> Hi folks,
>

> I have checked the DNS server on;
>
> http://www.intodns.com
>

> and found following warning/error ;
>
> (remark: postfix installed but NOT configured yet)

It would help if you told us what domain you're checking.

> NS
> 2)
> (i)	-	Glue for NS records
> INFO: GLUE was not sent when I asked your nameservers for your NS
> records.This is ok but you should know that in this case an extra A
> record lookup is required in order to get the IPs of your NS records.
> The nameservers without glue are:
> 208.109.255.22
> 216.69.185.22
> You can fix this for example by adding A records to your nameservers
> for the zones listed above.
>

> On which file?  Thanks.

Unless you host the domaincontrol.com domain you don't need to do
anything.

> SOA
> (i)	-	SOA record
> The SOA record is:
> Primary nameserver: ns43.domaincontrol.com
> Hostmaster E-mail address: dns.jomax.net
> Serial #: 2007111300
> Refresh: 28800
> Retry: 7200
> Expire: 604800   1 weeks
> Default TTL: 86400
>

> How to renew it?

Renew what?  This is an SOA record, nothing to do with registration.

> MX
> 1)
> MX CNAME Check
> WARNING: CNAME was returned for the following MX records:
> smtp.secureserver.net
> The CNAME(s) that were returned are listed above. This is not ok per
> the RFCs and can cause problems including mail being lost!
>

> How to get this problem fixed?  On Registrar's website?  OR on the
> server, which file?

In the zone file on the nameserver.  Change any MX records that point to
smtp.secureserver.net to point to smtp.where.secureserver.net.

> 2)
> MX A request returns CNAME
> WARNING: MX records points to a CNAME. CNAMEs are not allowed in MX
> records, according to RFC974, RFC1034 3.6.2, RFC1912 2.4, and RFC2181
> 10.3. The problem MX record(s) are:
> mailstore1.secureserver.net points to ['smtp.where.secureserver.net']
> smtp.secureserver.net points to ['smtp.where.secureserver.net']
> This can cause problems
>

> Do I need take any action on it?  If YES then how?  TIA

I'm not sure why it's complaining about mailstore1.secureserver.net.
It's an A record, not a CNAME record.

> 3)
> Reverse MX A records (PTR)
> ERROR: No reverse DNS (PTR) entries. The problem MX records are:
> 178.213.232.220.in-addr.arpa -> no reverse (PTR) detected
> You should contact your ISP and ask him to add a PTR record for your
> ips
>

> What is PTR record for ips?  Before asking IPS to take action anything
> can I do on the server.  TIA

PTR records are used to translate IPs back to names.  This is commonly
called "reverse DNS" (because translating names to addresses is the more
normal, "forward" direction).

You don't really need reverse DNS for your MX records, but you do need
it for your outgoing mail server.  The above error message assumes you
use the same machine for both incoming and outgoing mail.

There's nothing you can do on your server.  You need your ISP to add the
PTR record, or delegate the reverse DNS to your nameservers, and then
you need to add the reverse zone to your nameservers.  This will
probably also require implementation of RFC 2317-style delegation.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA