Problem on installing/config bind

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Fri Oct 31 00:53:17 UTC 2008

Stephen Liu wrote:

>> compile

>> On 29.10.08 23:09, Stephen Liu wrote:
>>
>>> xen03:/usr/local/src/bind-9.5.0#./configure
>>>
>> --prefix=/usr/local/bind
>>
>> in such case, named will work in /usr/local/bind and search for
>> config file
>> in /ust/local/bind/etc.
>>
>> If you chroot to /usr/local/bind, named will search for default
>> config file
>> /usr/local/bind/usr/local/bind/etc/named.conf, unless you provide any
>> with
>> "-c" command line option, and for other files in
>> /usr/local/bind/usr/local/bind/etc/
>>
>> (chrootdir/prefixdir/...).
>>
>> So now you need to specify named.conf file (which you already do) and
>> have
>> to use "directory" option in the config file for other files not to
>> be
>> searched in /usr/local/bind/usr/local/bind/etc/.
>>

> Noted and thanks.
>

> But I can't find;
>
> # ls /usr/local/bind/usr/local/bind/etc/
> ls: /usr/local/bind/usr/local/bind/etc/: No such file or directory
>

> # ls /usr/local/bind/usr/local
> ls: /usr/local/bind/usr/local: No such file or directory
>
> # ls /usr/local/bind/usr/
> ls: /usr/local/bind/usr/: No such file or directory
>
> # ls /usr/local/bind
> bin  dev  etc  include  lib  man  namedb  sbin  share  var

Stephen,
              Do you understand that the directory structure is
*yours*to*decide*? You can structure it any way you want through the
"prefix"compile-time option, the "directory" config-file option, and/or
the -t/-c run-time options. No-one can tell you that you *must* put
things in a certain directory, you decide this for yourself.

Matus has described above the rules that named uses for constructing
pathnames. Armed with that information, now you need to decide how you
want to organize things within the filesystem hierarchy. Different
people do it different ways.

> The default directory is;
>
> # ls /usr/local/bind/etc/
> localtime
> named.conf
> named.root
>

> I'm still searching around whether bind-9.5.0 needs rdnc.key.  If YES
> then how to create it.  Any advice?  TIA

You need _some_ repository for the rndc key if you intend to use rndc to
control your nameserver. Check the "Tools for Use With the Name Server
Daemon" section of the ARM for some choices on how to setup and
configure rndc.

                     - Kevin