round-robin question

Matthew Pounsett matt at conundrum.com
Thu Oct 30 17:50:37 UTC 2008

On 30-Oct-2008, at 13:34 , Bryan Irvine wrote:

> Creative I must admit, but doesn't work.  Is there another way to get
> this working perhaps with?

Even if you can get BIND to hand out more than one identical record (I
wouldn't expect that to work), the balance of load is dependant on the
clients' algorithms for choosing an A record.. and the clients may not
do what you want or expect.  Some clients are semi-random, some rotate
through the A records they get, and some cache and keep the first one
they pick.

I don't believe there's any reliable way to do this kind of traffic
engineering with DNS.  If you need to shift load around in very
specific ways, then you should look at actual load balancing hardware/
software to do the job.