masters, slaves, and when I make changes

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Wed Oct 29 08:36:15 UTC 2008

On 28.10.08 15:16, Scott Haneda wrote:
> Really only trying to do what the colo suggests, which is to list only
> one.

Did they at least specify, which one?

> Add to that, every time I end up adding more, from others, they
> go out of bussiness, or otherwise have issues, and I have to contact
> 100's of customers and have them login to their registrar and update
> stuff.

Better ask colo, why you chould only specific one of their nameservers...

> >> What determines to them, when the ns1.colo.com, through ns3.colo.com
> >> will pick up on the new data in ns0.colo.com?
> > Notifies are sent (by default) to the nameservers of a zone, when that
> > zone's serial number is changed, after (eg.) an rndc reload.
> >
> > If you really want to avoid listing the other nameservers in your
> > configuration, then add them in an "also-notify { ...; ...; };"
> > statement.
> Cool, thanks, and I assume I need not ask/tell the colo place to
> change anything, as a notify is a pretty benign thing to send?  Or
> should I mention it to them so they can approve my IP address to be
> allowed to send them these commands?

... and why do they transfer from different nameserver than the one you have
specified.  It may be related.

> I generally have mine set to 8H, but the notify should tell the slave
> to do it now, and not wait the 8H is that correct?  At least, once I
> start sending notifies to the other slaves?

Yes, unless they have disabled notify, or configured servers to limit
transfers...