DNS "chicken-and-egg" Problem

bsfinkel at anl.gov bsfinkel at anl.gov
Mon Oct 27 15:32:59 UTC 2008

I am having problems resolving

     igpp.ucla.edu

When I start a query at the root servers, I eventually get a referral
to the four name servers for ucla.edu.  When I query each of those
name servers, I get

     ; (1 server found)
     ;; got answer:
     ;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1
     ;; QUERY SECTION:
     ;;      igpp.ucla.edu, type = A, class = IN

     ;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
     igpp.ucla.edu.          6H IN NS        igpp.ucla.edu.

     ;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
     igpp.ucla.edu.          6H IN A         128.97.94.1

This looks like a proper referral to the one name server for the igpp
sub-domain.  I also get the "A" record for that name server.
But when I dump the cache on the nameserver on which I was doing my
queries, I do not see this glue information cached.  If the information
is not in the cache, then when I do a query for the "A" record, I find
that I need that "A" record to be able to query the authoritative
name server for that sub-domain.  There seems to be a "chicken-and-egg"
problem.  Why does BIND 9.5.0-P2 not cache the glue information that
it receives from the four authoritative name servers for ucla.edu?
Thanks.
Barry S. Finkel
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov