Authority gone from slaves

Steve Koon skoon at escapia.com
Fri Oct 24 02:26:22 UTC 2008

I had my slave server giving out authoritive request and two days ago
they stopped and I think I know why but wanted confirmation. Two days
ago we had an issue with one of our client whose zone we moved over form
the dns hosting company we have been using. Their web servers are
located at a third party web hosting site and they make a call on one of
their pages to our API hosted in our web server farm. Our web servers
domain are still currently hosted at the dns hosted company so when
calling the API and trying to resolve the images on our servers they
could not because it was trying to make a recursive call to the domain
we did not transfer to us yet. To fix this I enabled recursive on the
slaves until we complete the migration of all the zones to our server
over the next two weeks.

Did enabling recursive on the slave make they so that they can not been
seen as authoritive of any zones they host? Again the slaves were
responding as Authoritive for the zones they hosted until I enabled
recursive on them.

Hope I did not confuse anyone to much and can provide a diagram if
needed to clarify exactly what things looks like.

Thanks,
Steve