Statistics Dump - Bind9

Andy Shellam andy-lists at networkmail.eu
Tue Oct 21 20:09:47 UTC 2008

Hi Gregory,

Gregory Hicks wrote:

> Restarting named also works.  However, given a bit of 'computing'
> (which, I'm told, computers do rather well) it seems that you can keep
> a daily stats yourself.

Restarting named does work, however if you have a lot of zones it
increases the time that named takes to restart.
> The first time you query "rndc stats", you get the cumulative total.
> The second time you query stats, you also get a cumulative total.  To
> get the delta, all you have to do is subtract the first from the
> second.  Then to get the next delta, subtract the second from the
> third.  etc, etc...

This is true, but an issue is if named is restarted in the middle of the
day you're stats get a bit fudged - I've illustrated this with an
example of a single statistic increasing by 100 an hour:

- 12:00 restart rndc (stat = 0; previous stat = 0; cumulative = 0)
- 1:00 take stats (stat = 100; previous stat = 0; cumulative = 100)
- 2:00 take stats (stat = 200; previous stat = 100; cumulative = 200)
- 3:00 take stats (stat = 300; previous stat = 200; cumulative = 300)
- 3:50 issue with named; restart
- 4:00 take stats (stat = 20; previous stat = 300; cumulative = 20) <--
difference between stat and previous is -280

> Little bit of over-work...?

Not really, because we can use the database much more efficiently than
huge query logs.  Plus we can get statistics on a per-record and
per-domain basis.

Andy