Partial zone files?

Michael Enke michael.enke at wincor-nixdorf.com
Sun Oct 19 20:26:20 UTC 2008

Robert Spangler wrote:
> On Sunday 19 October 2008 09:27, Michael Enke wrote:
>

>> Hi all,
>> is there a way to tell bind that if a systems is queried
>> which is not in the zone file (but in same domain) to use the forwarder?
>

> Nope.
>

>> I want to do something like this:
>> I have no influence in the DNS-setup for the domain existing.domain
>> But I want to have the possibility for my systems to lookup
>> myhost.existing.domain.
>> So I setup my private DNS with the existing DNS as forwarder.
>>
>> I defined myhost in my zone file.
>> So far so good, from now on myhost is found, but for any other host
>> in existing.domain I get a
>> ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
>>
>> For systems not in the existing.domain all is ok, the forwarder is used.
>> I tried to setup my bind as slave, but the forwarder doesn't allow
>> zone transfers.
>

> Even if it did it would remove your host from that zone file and you would be
> right back where you started.
>

>> I did not find a solution for this except manually enter all systems
>> which should be resolved.
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Michael
>

> Solution:
> If you are looking to resolve just your host (which I am taking to mean that
> it cannot or is not added to the master server) you could just add it to
> your /etc/hosts file.  Then check host.conf to ensure that hosts is first
> searched.

Yeap, but that doesn't work for me.
I build up a network of master and backup systems with failover functionality,
the system becoming master signals my central DNS system and there I change
the zone file (postgresql-database) to let other systems always talk to the master.

Thank you for your answer, a negative answer is better than uncertainty.
Michael