domain keys and name-checking

aklist aklist_bind at enigmedia.com
Fri Oct 17 19:14:33 UTC 2008

Hi All: I have a domain I'm authoritative for, in Bind 9.5.0-p1.

I'm trying to bring up a mailserver in the domain that uses domain-keys, and
the server's tech support staff sent me a domain key to add as a text record
for the domain.

This is the first domain I ever was required to set up domain-keys for. The
domain key has a syntax like:

server._domainkey.domain.com. IN TXT "k=rsa; p=[very long string]"

When I try to reload the zone, I get a log error:

17-Oct-2008 09:40:30.816 general: error: db.domain.com:18:
server._domainkey.domain.com: bad owner name (check-names)
17-Oct-2008 09:40:30.816 general: error: zone domain.com/IN/external:

The server's support people are telling me "the current release of BIND
doesn't seem to like underscores and you need to disable name-checking in
BIND"

Is that correct? If so, can I disable name-checking for a particular domain?