redirect query for specific hosts within a domain

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Fri Oct 17 19:11:30 UTC 2008

On Oct 17, 2008, at 11:46 AM, Chris Cohen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> let's say I have a domain my server is authoritative for, with
> something
> like:
>
> $ORIGIN example.org
> [...]
> statichost1	IN	A	10.0.0.1
> statichost2	IN	A	10.1.0.2
> dynamichost1	IN	[lookup this hostname on another server]
>
> the $otherserver is not under my controle, so is it possible to tell
> bind to redirect querys to a specific host to another server?
>
> --
> thanks
> chris

That depends...

- Is the other server going to host a zone named
dynamichost1.example.org? Or will it host example.org?
- What do you want your server to send in response to iterative
queries? An answer, or a referral?

If the parameters are correct, you could handle this with a delegation
and (if necessary) a forward zone. For example:

In the zone file:
dynamichost1	IN	NS	otherserver.

In named.conf:
zone "dynamichost1.example.org" {