What are the applications that need DNS reverse resolution?

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Wed Oct 15 05:49:26 UTC 2008

In article <gd1sag$14a8$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 Peter Dambier <peter at peter-dambier.de> wrote:

> Thinking of mail, first our mailserver's ssh login does not let
> you in if you do not have a name. Same goes for many web sites.

I doubt that many web sites do this.  Lots of ISPs don't configure
reverse DNS for their customers, although this has gotten much better in
recent years.  Second, most web sites try to provide the fastest
response time they can, and doing a reverse lookup would slow things
down too much.

> Next the IMAP server looks for a valid name and the SMTP daemon
> wont even ask you for AUTH. Without AUTH there is no mail forwarding.
>
> The IMAP receiver on port 25 will treat emails as spam if your
> reverse name and your sender come from different TLDs.

ITYM SMTP.  IMAP is used for reading mail, not sending it.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA