Delegating and slaving of same zone - good idea or just plain stupid?

Peter Laws plaws at ou.edu
Wed Oct 8 17:45:38 UTC 2008

Kevin Darcy wrote:

> Slave the 10.in-addr.arpa subzones on your "external" servers and ensure
> -- as you should already be doing -- that only your own
> clients/resolvers see the RFC 1918 stuff. The rest of us shouldn't and
> don't want to see your RFC 1918 dirty laundry.

Done, and of course you can't see it.  What good would it do you anyway?

> As for your *internal* DNS, you can if you wish delegate 10.in-addr.arpa
> directly from your internal root zone or delegate twice, from root to
> in-addr.arpa, and then again to 10.in-addr.arpa. If you _have_ an
> internal root zone, that is: it's not clear from your post whether you
> have one or not.

Well, no, it's not set up as root if you mean zone "."  It's just another
zone on the server.  And if I do a dig +trace, it doesn't work of course
(the root servers have no idea what I'm smoking when I ask).  I've not seen
an example of how we'd do that.

--
Peter Laws / N5UWY
plaws at ou.edu