BIND on IPv6 interface (erratum)

Alan Zoysa alanzoysa at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 21:07:30 UTC 2008

Hello,
Am using BIND 9.5.0-P2 on Debian (testing/Lenny).

listen-on-v6 { any; };
works fine and also starts daemon on IPv4 addresses (I wonder why? since
there is "listen-on" for IPv4 -- If "listen-on-v6" causes BIND daemon to
start on IPv4 addresses, it should also accept IPv4 address in its
arguments, no?).

I wanted BIND to run only on IPv6 (say localhost6) address so I did the
following
listen-on-v6 { ::1/128; };
but it does not work!

---- end of old post ----

Erratum:

BECAUSE, I used ";" to comment out "listen-on-v6 { any; };" like:

; listen-on-v6 { any; };

Later, I used /* listen-on-v6 { any; }; */

I used to assume that I can use ; or # to comment out a line in named.conf*
files and also in zone files.

And BIND started. But it is also started listening on IPv4,
so I did the following:

listen-on { none; };

And it stops listening on IPv4  :)  Sorry to trouble you guys...

But I wonder why listen-on-v6 should assume that if "listen-on { none; };"
is not specified it should start daemon on IPv4?

--

best regards,
Alan.