BIND Based Appliances.

Jeff A. Earickson jaearick at colby.edu
Fri Oct 3 14:53:14 UTC 2008

Hi,

I am evaluating an Infoblox appliance right now, having landed on
my desk a couple of days ago, for DNS and DHCP.  We currently use the
ISC versions of DNS and DHCP.

So far, I am *totally* unimpressed with Infoblox.  I use Macs.
Their java client does not work at all on a Mac.  I also use Boot Camp
and vmware fusion (2.0) to run Vista on my Macs -- it did not work there
either.  I would reasonably expect a Mac booted into Vista from Boot Camp
to work with a Windows-centric Java client.  It totally flunked, using
java 1.4.2, 1.5, and 1.6u7.  I had to get a Windows XP box to get the
client to work.

After all that, I finally get connected to the Infoblox, and I'm ready
to import my DNS and DHCP data from my ISC files.  The manager does
not have an import feature.  It is a separate java client available from
their support.  So I have to track that down and get it, more phone
calls and wasted time.

So I get the Data Import Wizard installs.  It completely failed on a
DHCP import of my dhcpd.master file.  It did not like:

Parsing DHCP file error: line 46:1: unexpected token: omapi-port

so I comment this line out in the file.  Then it complains:

Parsing DHCP file error: line 50:1: unexpected token: max-lease-time

Excuse me???  The max lease time is a very important parameter in
DHCP.

Then tried to import my DNS data via either file imports or DNS zone
transfer.  Both failed.  Both choked on errors in the DNS boot file.
I am looking at this right now.

I would expect data imports of ISC DNS and DHCP information to work
flawlessly if thie appliance was worth anything.

Methinks this eval is headed for failure/rejection.

Jeff Earickson
Colby College