Supporting Multiple CNAMEs for a Domain

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Thu Oct 2 23:32:36 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 01, 2008 at 11:34:19PM -0700, Will wrote:
> How do you support multiple CNAMEs for a host - to support round robin - in
> BIND 9.3.0?
>
> When we insert this into the zone file it fails the zone:
>
>     test    CNAME    www1.domain.com.
>                CNAME    www2.domain.com.
>
> Simply commenting out the second CNAME the zone works again.
>
> --
> Will

To: Will <westes-usc at noemail.nospam>

As others have said, if a name has a CNAME record, it may have no others
[with a few DNSSEC exceptions].

DNS is not the right way to do round robin, anyway.  The user's caching
resolving name server will serve out the names how it wants, not how you
want [not necessarily, anyway].  Use a Squid proxy or an F5 BigIP or
something like that.

--
Joe Yao
Qinetiq NA / Analex Contractor