Two forwarder questions.

Ben Croswell ben.croswell at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 13:48:56 UTC 2008

The answer is it depends on the version you are running.
If you are running 9.3+, I believe someone correct me if I have the version
wrong, forwarding is more like delegation from the perspective of how the
forwarders are used.

Originally forwarders were always processed in order and the second
forwarder would only used if the first timed out.  The major issue with this
being if you lost the first forwarder your nameserver would never learn that
the first one was down. Every query would have to wait for the first
forwarder to time out.

With current versions forwarders are based on RTT similar to NS records.

--
-Ben Croswell