rfc1918 ns records coming from internet are queried?

Gregory Hicks ghicks at hicks-net.net
Wed Nov 26 20:23:19 UTC 2008

> Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 21:09:53 +0100 (CET)
> To: dave at ca.sophos.com
> Subject: Re: rfc1918 ns records coming from internet are queried?
> From: sthaug at nethelp.no
> Cc: bind-users at isc.org
>
> > > A border router knows what is "inside" and "outside" your network, while
> > > a DNS server does not. Important difference.
> >
> > You're missing the point.  This is not about inside and outside networks, it
> > is about rfc1918 responses from internet queries.
>
> I'm afraid I have seen too many organizations using a mix of public and
> RFC1918 IP addresses on the "inside". Thus I don't believe that you can
> differentiate based on RFC1918 addresses or not on a general basis.

Actually, I got the impression that the OP wanted to know if BIND would
ignore and NS records provided by some server on the internet that
pointed to RFC-1918 type IP addresses.  (It could be that everyone is
talking to the same thing...)

If BIND sends out a request, as it should, to some set of NS record IP
addresses, it keeps a record of WHEN the request was sent out and marks
how long it takes to get a response back from those requests.  The
RFC-1918 type addresses SHOULD never respond - unless you happen to
have a server at the same address that someone else is advertizing.
(The "SHOULD never respond" is driven by the BCP-38 filtering at edge
routers.)  Thus those addresses will have ungodly high round trip times
and should be removed from further queries...

(My read of how it works.  I could be wrong though.)

Regards,
Gregory Hicks