rndc-confgen no response

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Sat Nov 29 05:56:19 UTC 2008

In message <437834.83056.qm at web92104.mail.cnh.yahoo.com>, Ken DBA writes:
> Hello,
>
> Sometime when I run sbin/rndc-confgen there is not response from this command
> , no any output after long time. But sometime it behaves well.
>
> The OS is Slackware Linux, kernel is 2.6.24.5-smp.
> Bind is BIND 9.5.0-P2, I compiled and installed it from sources.
>
> Please help. Thanks.
>
> Ken

/dev/random has run out of random bits.  You need to make your machine
generate more of them.

Mark

5.4. FreeBSD

Q: I have FreeBSD 4.x and "rndc-confgen -a" just sits there.

A: /dev/random is not configured. Use rndcontrol(8) to tell the kernel to
   use certain interrupts as a source of random events. You can make this
   permanent by setting rand_irqs in /etc/rc.conf.

   /etc/rc.conf
   rand_irqs="3 14 15"

   See also <http://people.freebsd.org/~dougb/randomness.html>.

--