Just to make sure I have TTL's understood.

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Fri Nov 28 09:11:20 UTC 2008

On 25.11.08 23:15, Scott Haneda wrote:
> Based on your suggestions, I have made a template zone file to base
> all new zones on, do you agree with this?
>
> * When I need to change to a low TTL for migration needs, what would
> be the approach to that with this template format?

I personally use default TTL 43200, and higher only for NS records (and
apropriate A records) to have the same TTL as glue records in parent
domains.

> $TTL 1D
> @       IN      SOA     ns1.hostwizard.com. scott.hostwizard.com. (
>                 200810011       ; serial, todays date + todays serial #
>                 8H              ; refresh
>                 2H              ; retry
>                 4W              ; expire
>                 1H )            ; minimum
> @       IN      NS      ns1.hostwizard.com.
> @       IN      NS      ns1.nacio.com.
> @       IN      MX      10 gonepostal.hostwizard.com.  ; Primary Mail
> Exchanger
>
> ; email server base
> pop     IN      A       64.84.37.6
> smtp    IN      A       64.84.37.6
> imap    IN      A       64.84.37.6
> @       IN      TXT     "v=spf1 ip4:64.84.37.0/26 ?all"
>
> ; http website base
> ;@      IN      A       64.84.37.x
> ;www    IN      A       64.84.37.x
> ;ftp    IN      A       64.84.37.x

those @'s are useless most of the time, if you don't provide name, the RR
applies for the last name provided. Move TXT just after SOA and you can
remove them all.

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.