CNAME without recursion

Pavel Urban pupu at pupu.cz
Fri Nov 21 16:57:00 UTC 2008

Mark Andrews wrote:
> In message <49269D31.5000808 at pupu.cz>, Pavel Urban writes:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have two local domains on our 9.3.4 BIND. One domain has CNAME record
>> pointing to the record in the second one. The server has recursion disabled.
>>
>> What is an expected behavior? I can see this:
>
> 	No.  You don't see "this" because "this" is not what was
> 	displayed on your screen.
>

> 	If you want help with your problem you will need to provide
> 	real details.
>
>> www.dom1.cz ns.xxx.cz
>> Using domain server:
>> Name: ns.xxx.cz
>> Address: 80.188.xx.xxx#53
>> Aliases:
>>
>> Host www.dom1.cz not found: 5(REFUSED)
>>
>> Do I have to have recursion enabled to resolve such CNAMEs?
>>
>> Thanks!

Well, I can send you the real data, but it is not possible to check it
out, anyway - it was a test configuration and 'internal' view only. I
shall restore this test configuration and send it to the list.

Anyway, not following 'local' CNAMEs is not expected just because of
disabled recursion, then?

Thank you!

Pavel Urban (pavel.urban (at) o2services.cz)
O2 Services system disaster
Telefonica O2 Services, spol s r.o. - www.o2services.cz