Mirrored DNS Servers, Some Addresses Not Found

Sam Wilson Sam.Wilson at ed.ac.uk
Mon Nov 17 12:18:34 UTC 2008

In article <gfklei$2hqv$1 at sf1.isc.org>, Grant <grantroelofs at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I have BIND installed on 3 different computers, all three having the
> same configuration information.  I use to use WebMin to update each, but
> that was kind of a pain to have to go to three different systems to make
> a change.
>
> I recently set it up with one being the primary (the server I make the
> changes on) and then the other two copying their configuration files
> from this one.  I have a cron script on the two secondary servers that
> stops BIND on that server, copies all the configuration files over
> (except rndc.key), and then restarts BIND.
>
> For the most part, it works.  But something strange has been happening
> since doing this.  Some of the addresses (A) I have setup since doing
> this work for a while, and then can't be found, and then go back to
> working again.  Maybe they are not related, but this started happening
> when I started copying the configuration files.
>
> Any ideas of what may be causing this?  Are there better ways to mirror
> DNS servers?

Make one server the DNS master and the others the slaves.  That way zone
updates just happen via the standard zone transfer process.  If you need
to change the zone configuration then put named.conf for the slaves (or
one or more fragments thereof referenced in include statements) on your
master and propagate them via your existing cron mechanism.  The cron
script can check for differences in the new configurations and only
restart named when there's a change.

Sam