Check out log-file per day

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Tue Nov 11 23:48:51 UTC 2008

Mark Andrews wrote:
> In message <491A0864.70105 at chrysler.com>, Kevin Darcy writes:
>
>> Jonathan Petersson wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> Is there some statement that you can give that triggers bind to check out a
>>> current log-file when a new day occurs. I'm currently using the size option
>>> but it would be useful if you could have 1 file per day instead.
>>>
>>> If not I guess I'll have to do a cronjob.
>>>

>> Yeah, it would be nice if there were an rndc "logroll" command.
>>
>> For that matter, it would be nice to have a cache-cleaning command in
>> rndc as well, so that one could schedule that potentially-disruptive
>> activity for off-hours.
>>

> 	rndc flush		(clears the entire cache)
> 	rndc flushname		(clears the given name)

clear != clean. I'm talking about only deleting the expired entries. I
know about cleaning-interval, and it's a handy tunable, but in
high-performance environments sometimes one needs uneven intervals or to
skip intervals sometimes (e.g. during month-end processing or whatever).
An rndc command for "manual" cleaning would give more fine-grained control.

                                                                   - Kevin