How can I retrieve the details that makes up the statistics?

JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 Jinmei_Tatuya at isc.org
Mon Nov 10 02:05:03 UTC 2008

At Sat, 8 Nov 2008 17:58:55 -0800,
Steve Koon <skoon at escapia.com> wrote:

> Is there a way to retrieve (or log during request) the actual queries
> that made up the count for the NXRRSET and NXDOMAIN statistics? I am
> curious what record types and queries that could not be served by this
> domain.

The short answer is no.

If you want to know specific queries rather than or in addition to RR
types that cause nxrrset/nxdomain, I believe you need additional
logging; summarized statistics counters are not suitable for that
purpose.

I've actually been thinking about adding a new logging category to log
each response, and have been wondering whether there's need for this
feature.  Would that make you happy?

---
JINMEI, Tatuya
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.