Duplicate master file name (was: Re: ignoring out-of-zone msg after nsupdate)

Chris Thompson cet1 at hermes.cam.ac.uk
Fri May 16 16:30:26 UTC 2008

On May 16 2008, Mark Andrews wrote:

>	I suspect you have multiple zones referencing the same master
>	file.  You cannot do this with dynamic zones.

(or with type slave/stub zones, of course)

This does seem to be a common trap. I've seen all sorts of causes, e.g.

 * Identical type=master zones share a master file; then someone starts
   to use dynamic update on them (as here).

 * Identical type=master zones share a master file; this gets copied to
   a configuration on a slave with just a s/type master/type slave/.

 * A zone is added by duplicating a previous zone defintion, the zone
   name gets changed but not the master file specification.

I wonder whether BIND could catch at least the common case, when the
master file specifications are textually identical, when parsing the
configuration file. (Detecting cases when the files are the same
because of symbolic links, loop-back mounts, you name it, would be
a lot more challenging.)

--
Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 at cam.ac.uk