Multiple SOA records?

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Wed May 7 14:16:52 UTC 2008

Pull a zone transfer using dig, of any zone that you have zone
transfer access to. The output will start and end with an SOA record.
For example:

$ dig @localhost localhost axfr
; <<>> DiG 9.4.1-P1 <<>> @localhost localhost axfr
; (3 servers found)
;; global options:  printcmd
localhost.		86400	IN	SOA	localhost. root.localhost. 42 10800 900
604800 86400
localhost.		86400	IN	NS	localhost.
localhost.		86400	IN	A	127.0.0.1
localhost.		86400	IN	SOA	localhost. root.localhost. 42 10800 900
604800 86400
;; Query time: 1 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
;; WHEN: Wed May  7 07:15:35 2008
;; XFR size: 4 records (messages 1, bytes 134)

Chris Buxton
Professional Services
Men & Mice