Need help with DNS

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Tue Mar 25 19:26:01 UTC 2008

Men & Mice offers consulting services for jobs like this (and bigger
ones, too, of course), but our rate is substantially more than $50/hour.

Basically, you need to do something like this:

Install BIND and the BIND chroot environment:

yum install bind bind-chroot

Optionally, also install the GUI for configuring BIND (if X and Gnome
are installed):

yum install system-config-bind

Create named.conf. If you have system-config-bind installed, in the
Gnome toolbar (at the top of the GUI screen), go to System >
Administration > Server Settings > Domain Name System. It will create
a basic config, which you can then modify using either the GUI or a
text editor.

If you don't have that tool, start with these commands:
______________________

rndc-confgen -a -b 256 -c /var/named/chroot/etc/rndc.key
ln -sv /var/named/chroot/etc/rndc.key /etc/

cat > /var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf << EOF
options {
	directory "/var/named";
	allow-recursion { localnets; };
};
include "/etc/rndc.key";
controls {
	inet * allow { localhost; } keys { rndckey; };
};
zone "." {
	type hint;
	file "root.hint";
};
zone "localhost" {
	type master;
	file "localhost";
};
EOF
ln -sv /var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf /etc/

dig @a.root-servers.net +norec > /var/named/chroot/var/named/root.hint

cat > /var/named/chroot/var/named/localhost << EOF
\$TTL 1d
@ SOA @ root 42 1h 1h 1w 1h
   NS @
   A 127.0.0.1
EOF
______________________

Now start adding zones to your configuration. For example (continuing
to use cat rather than a text editor, for simplicity):
______________________

cat >> /etc/named.conf << EOF
zone "my.website." {
	type master;
	file "my.website";
};
EOF

cat > /var/named/chroot/var/named/my.website << EOF
\$TTL 1d
@	SOA	ns1.my.website. dkrause.optivus.com. (
		2008032500 1d 1h 1w 1h )
	NS	ns1.my.website.
	MX	mx1.my.website.
	A	192.0.2.1
mx1	A	192.0.2.1
ns1	A	192.0.2.1
www	A	192.0.2.1
EOF
______________________

When you think you're done, use this command:

named -u named -t /var/named/chroot -g

That will actually load everything and start the name server, but in
the foreground where you can easily see any error messages. Type
control-c to stop it. If there were any errors, go back and fix them,
then try it again. When all is ready, use these commands:

chkconfig named on
service named start

Chris Buxton
Professional Services