Master <--> slave named.conf "auto-generation"

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Fri Mar 14 20:02:14 UTC 2008

% dig _index axfr

; <<>> DiG 9.3.2 <<>> _index axfr
; (1 server found)
;; global options:  printcmd
_index.                 86400   IN      SOA     ns1.chysler.com.
dnsadm.chrysler.com. 221 21600 3600 3600000 3600
_index.                 3600    IN      NS      ns1.chrysler.com.
_index.                 3600    IN      NS      ns2.chrysler.com.
_index.                 3600    IN      PTR     .
_index.                 3600    IN      PTR     chrysler.com.
_index.                 3600    IN      PTR     abc.chrysler.com.
_index.                 3600    IN      PTR     xyz.chrysler.com.
_index.                 3600    IN      PTR     in-addr.arpa.
_index.                 3600    IN      PTR     172.in-addr.arpa.
_index.                 3600    IN      PTR     16.172.in-addr.arpa.
_index.                 3600    IN      PTR     17.172.in-addr.arpa.

(Just an anonymized example, of course, but you get the idea).

The reason for using PTRs instead of TXT RRs is that they benefit from
label compression.

                        - Kevin