Why are only com/net/org slow?

Peter Dambier peter at peter-dambier.de
Wed Mar 12 10:15:18 UTC 2008

it could be IPv6.

Many nameservers do have both A and AAAA records.

Once I got rid of the problem when I removed all IPv6 stuff from my
nameserver, to prevent bind from trying IPv6 first and finally forgetting
IPv4 if the queried server had both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses.

Another time I got rid of the problem when I put only IPv4 addresses in
my /etc/hosts but I am afraid only dig and not bind does look there.

Try dig not only on your resolver but on the forwarders too and on the
nameservers.

e.g: try "dig pccf.net +trace"

; <<>> DiG 9.4.0 <<>> pccf.net +trace
;; global options:  printcmd
.                       279560  IN      NS      d-root.cesidio.net.
.                       279560  IN      NS      b-root.cesidio.net.
;; Received 128 bytes from 7.19.30.36#53(7.19.30.36) in 0 ms

net.                    96400   IN      NS      i.gtld-servers.net.
net.                    96400   IN      NS      h.gtld-servers.net.
;; Received 511 bytes from 78.47.115.194#53(a-root.cesidio.net) in 56 ms

pccf.net.               172800  IN      NS      ns1.servage.net.
pccf.net.               172800  IN      NS      ns4.servage.net.
;; Received 170 bytes from 192.12.94.30#53(e.gtld-servers.net) in 174 ms

pccf.net.               86400   IN      A       77.232.80.226
pccf.net.               86400   IN      NS      ns4.servage.net.
;; Received 122 bytes from 2001:16d8:ff00:1ac::2#53(ns2.servage.net) in 267 ms

This should tell you where the time is spent.

A cache querying another cache does not make a lot of sense. It only wastes
time and delays things. Try to turn your cache into a resolver

Hope I could help you.

Kind regards
Peter

--