Anyone still interested in Philip Hazel's "makezones" ?

Chris Thompson cet1 at hermes.cam.ac.uk
Wed Mar 12 00:27:41 UTC 2008

It's been drawn to our attention that there are still many references
around the web to [don't try it, it won't work]

  ftp://ftp.cus.cam.ac.uk/pub/software/programs/DNS/makezones

(or similar). ftp.cus.cam.ac.uk has not supported anonymous ftp since
the beginning of 2008, and is due to go altogether later this year.

Makezones is a Perl program written by Philip Hazel (best known,
perhaps, as the author of Exim) in 1993, that generates mutually
consistent forward and reverse zone files from a common source.
At one time it was included as a contributed program in the BIND
distribution. It even gets a mention in RFC 2072 ...

Philip retired last year, and tells me he no longer has any interest
its future (if any). For the purposes of maintaining the main DNS
zones in Cambridge, makezones developed weird and wonderful local
mods and is now used only in a vestigial way. The last "public"
version was 0.33 (October 2000, and yes, this does include the Y2K
fixes to the serial number maintenance!) and this what was available
at the above URL until recently.

If anyone is still seriously interested in it, we don't want to deny
them access to it. On the other hand, there is no serious chance of
anyone here enhancing it, fixing bugs, or offering advice on it. We
have thought of making it available marked as "historical, frozen,
unsupported software", but I thought I would test the temperature
here first.

It is *temporarily* available as

  http://www.cus.cam.ac.uk/~cet1/justfornow-makezones-0.33

if you want to take a look.

--
Chris Thompson               University of Cambridge Computing Service,
Email: cet1 at ucs.cam.ac.uk    New Museums Site, Cambridge CB2 3QH,