Doublt about DNS Client...

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Mon Mar 10 16:34:17 UTC 2008

The RFC's don't say, if I recall correctly.

Some stub resolvers (the most common DNS clients) try again for up to
75-81 seconds. Some retry only a few times, maybe as few as 2 queries
total. The only constant (or near constant) seems to be that the delay
between the first query and the second is 5 seconds.

Some versions of nslookup time out after 2 seconds.

Of course, the actual application that requests a name lookup from the
stub resolver often will only wait 5 seconds. Or it might wait until
the stub resolver gives up. It depends on the application.

However, there's a difference between not getting an answer and
getting a negative answer. In the case of a negative answer, the name
server responded with a final answer. Thus, the client (stub resolver,
nslookup, dig, whatever) stops right there - it does not try a
different name server to try to get a positive answer. A negative
answer is an answer.

Chris Buxton
Professional Services
Men & Mice