IP Address Management Tool (IPAM) for DNS and DHCP

Paul Vixie Paul_Vixie at isc.org
Thu Mar 6 05:54:48 UTC 2008

> > > can those who use ip address management tools rather than raw BIND9
> > > servers state some of their requirements here, so that we can make plans
> > > for BIND10?
>
> > Built in support for dual-masters using raw files would be great (with
> > dyndns support), I don't know if there's any RFC covering this but it
> > would be nice to have.
>
> Well this was a stupid comment, let me elaborate,
>
> More intelligent dual-master support where 2 masters could sync up and talk
> to each other natively.

i think you mean what some people call "multi-master".  i'm intrigued by your
characterization of it as "native", though.  isn't it the case that if two or
more servers could automatically synchronize their list of zones, and the
content of those zones, based on some kind of clustering commandments by the
installer/operator, that you wouldn't mind if this were done in an open,
standard, interoperable way, perhaps based on features from RFCs 1035, 1995,
1996, 2136, 2671, and 2845?

that is, you're not actually counting on the synchronization method being
private to BIND, as long as it doesn't require endless config file jiggering,
happens mostly in the background and mostly painlessly?

> > Revision control (fallback with dyndns or similar)

something like "rndc revert vix.com 2008030603" to discard all zone changes
to vix.com since serial number 2008030603?

> > Btw, when is NSEC3 being integrated?

i suspect it's 9.6.0 fodder.  would NSEC3 change your life in some way, like,
make you willing to deploy DNSSEC, meaning, you want to deploy DNSSEC but you
can't until you get NSEC3?  if so that's very useful information and i urge
you to tell us more.