logging clause bind 9.x versions ..

vincent.blondel at ing.be vincent.blondel at ing.be
Mon Mar 3 10:27:24 UTC 2008

Hello,

Maybe this is a stupid question but I really do not find any answer to
my problem. I already browsed the manual and did not find any history
explanation on logging clause.

So I am busy with setting-up a common logging clause on all my Bind
servers and this is just the behaviour difference I noticed with all my
servers.

Below what I defined with Bind 9.2.3 and 9.4.1-P1 ..

logging {

  channel default_file { file "/var/log/default.log" versions 5 size
10m; severity info; print-time yes; };
  channel general_file { file "/var/log/general.log" versions 5 size
10m; severity info; print-time yes; };
  channel database_file { file "/var/log/database.log" versions 5 size
10m; severity info; print-time yes; };
  channel security_file { file "/var/log/security.log" versions 5 size
10m; severity info; print-time yes; };
  channel config_file { file "/var/log/config.log" versions 5 size 10m;
severity info; print-time yes; };
  channel resolver_file { file "/var/log/resolver.log" versions 5 size
10m; severity info; print-time yes; };
  channel xfer-in_file { file "/var/log/xfer-in.log" versions 5 size
10m; severity info; print-time yes; };
  channel xfer-out_file { file "/var/log/xfer-out.log" versions 5 size
10m; severity info; print-time yes; };
  channel notify_file { file "/var/log/notify.log" versions 5 size 10m;
severity info; print-time yes; };
  channel client_file { file "/var/log/client.log" versions 5 size 10m;
severity info; print-time yes; };
  channel unmatched_file { file "/var/log/unmatched.log" versions 5 size
10m; severity info; print-time yes; };
  channel queries_file { file "/var/log/queries.log" versions 10 size
10m; severity info; print-time yes; };
  channel network_file { file "/var/log/network.log" versions 5 size
10m; severity info; print-time yes; };
  channel update_file { file "/var/log/update.log" versions 5 size 10m;
severity info; print-time yes; };
  channel dispatch_file { file "/var/log/dispatch.log" versions 5 size
10m; severity info; print-time yes; };
  channel dnssec_file { file "/var/log/dnssec.log" versions 5 size 10m;
severity info; print-time yes; };
  channel lame-servers_file { file "/var/log/lame-servers.log" versions
5 size 10m; severity info; print-time yes; };

  category default { default_file; };
  category general { general_file; };
  category database { database_file; };
  category security { security_file; };
  category config { config_file; };
  category resolver { resolver_file; };
  category xfer-in { xfer-in_file; };
  category xfer-out { xfer-out_file; };
  category notify { notify_file; };
  category client { client_file; };
  category unmatched { unmatched_file; };
  category queries { queries_file; };
  category network { network_file; };
  category update { update_file; };
  category dispatch { dispatch_file; };
  category dnssec { dnssec_file; };
  category lame-servers { lame-servers_file; };

};

.. and this is what I get with Bind 9.2.3

Mar 03 11:19:44.568 client 10.66.116.185#1025: query: ... IN A

and with 9.4.1-P1

03-Mar-2008 11:10:43.953 client 209.85.146.133#27772: view external:
query: ... IN MX -E

As you can see it entry log is different because date is not written the
same way. I also get the view definition with 9.4.1 but not with 9.2.3.

My question is simple .. Is this normal due to logging clause update
during 9.x versions ... is there a way getting in 9.2.3 the same log
entry as the one I get with 9.4.1-P1.

Regards
Vincent
ATTENTION:
The information in this electronic mail message is private and
confidential, and only intended for the addressee. Should you
receive this message by mistake, you are hereby notified that
any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or use of this
message is strictly prohibited. Please inform the sender by
reply transmission and delete the message without copying or
opening it.

Messages and attachments are scanned for all viruses known.
If this message contains password-protected attachments, the
files have NOT been scanned for viruses by the ING mail domain.