no address records (A or AAAA) for mx record

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Sat Jun 28 09:20:19 UTC 2008

> I have a zone defined with sub zones.  The zone has mx records that
> point to the sub zone.
>
> Such as the mx records for lsu.edu
>
> lsu.edu -> MX      10 smtp005.ocs.lsu.edu
>
> smtp005.ocs.lsu.edu has an A record defined, but when I run
> named-checkzone I get an error:
> zone lsu.edu/IN: lsu.edu/MX 'smtp005.ocs.lsu.edu' has no address records
> (A or AAAA)
>
> everything is working fine, so I am just curious if I'm doing something
> wrong.  Everything is dynamic, and I'm having trouble creating MX
> records with nsupdate, so I am wondering if this is related.

	You most probably havn't correctly delegated ocs.lsu.edu,
	no NS records in the lsu.edu zone.  named and named-checkzone
	look at the zone in isolation and there are no A or AAAA
	records in the zone.  Add the NS RRset to delegate ocs.lsu.edu
	and the error message will go away.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC