DDNS Registration behind Load Balancer

Linux Addict linuxaddict7 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 14:23:50 UTC 2008

Mark Andrews wrote:

>>> 	Caching only name servers are a authorgonal issue.  Your
>>> 	load balancer may be able to look at the DNS OPCODE and
>>> 	redirect all UPDATE requests to one machine.
>>>

>> It's not orthogonal if there is a proliferation of caching-only
>> resolvers at remote sites, with no load-balancers in front of them, or
>> no load-balancers capable of the OPCODE-based redirection you describe.
>> We don't have a lot of information about the OP's network topology
>> and/or their plans for the future, so we can only speculate in that regard.
>>

> 	UPDATE requests are sent to authoritative servers.  They
> 	are *not* sent to caches.   At worst the probing for the
> 	zone to update can add a cached NXDOMAIN response.  Named
> 	doesn't cache negative responses to SOA queries so that it
> 	is possible to discover the containg zone without introducing
> 	side effects.
>

>> One thing we can be fairly certain of, however, is that there is some
>> sort of DHCP infrastructure in place -- if all the clients have static
>> IPs it presumably wouldn't be necessary to update DNS dynamically at all
>> -- and it seems to me cleaner and more straightforward to have the DHCP
>> server do the DNS update, rather than the client.
>>
>> Another missing piece of the puzzle is: why put the master *and* the
>> slaves behind the same load-balancer VIP? Seems to me, at a minimum,
>> you'd want to segregate the slaves from the master, since they serve
>> different functions. If the client *must* do the Dynamic Update, for
>> some reason, perhaps it could fail over to the master's address after
>> the Dynamic Update request gets REFUSEd by the slave VIP.
>>

> 	No, the correct response is NOTIMPL.  The client does not
> 	implememt the forwarding of UPDATE requests to the master.
> 	REFUSED should result in the client immediately returning.
> 	(Yes there are update clients that continue on refused).
>
> 	This allows the client to distingish between a slave that
> 	has forward the UPDATE request to a master which then refused
> 	it and a slave that is not configured to forward updates.
>
> 	Mark
>

>>                            - Kevin

I have around 1000 hosts mix of Linux and Windows and they all
Statically IPed. At this point not moving to DHCP. I am planning only 2
DNS servers per Data Center.

The plan is to have either master/slave or multi master. if
allow-update-forwarding will allow slave to accept/forward Dynamic
Registration, then that should do it for me.

Why am I putting master and slave both behind Load Balancer?? Well I am
planning only couple of servers for DNS and I have to put both of them
to achieve High Availability.  But I am open to ideas. I cant think of
any better architecture with 2 servers.

Thank you

~LA