what should bind do after receiving a SERVFAIL

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Tue Jun 17 19:02:16 UTC 2008

The two servers you're looking at are misbehaving, most likely due to
a software bug. Here's what dig reports (minus the irrelevant parts) -
the response is the same regardless of server:

$ dig www.deltapoint.be +norec @ns4.combell.net
;; Warning: Message parser reports malformed message packet.
;; Truncated, retrying in TCP mode.
[...]
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.deltapoint.be.		IN	A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.deltapoint.be.	3600	IN	CNAME	virtualhosting.brightsites.be.
virtualhosting.brightsites.be. 3600 IN	CNAME	virtualhosting.newlink.cz.

I haven't done a packet capture to see just what's malformed about the
UDP response, but from what you describe, it sounds like the auth
servers are sending a SERVFAIL response that also contains CNAME
records. That's just bizarre. The rcode should be NOERROR, with the
dangling CNAMEs contained in a referral.

I'm not surprised that BIND reacts badly to this. It probably believes
the SERVFAIL rcode and considers that server to be lame. After getting
this response from both auth servers, it gives up, having no other
auth servers to query. However, if you manually query for CNAME
records, you get the first CNAME record in your cache. Then when you
ask your server for the A record for that name, it re-queries these
misbehaving servers for the second CNAME - which they return without
incident - and then goes and finds the final address record.

I suppose the CNAME->CNAME with SERVFAIL response could be caused by a
name server reacting badly to this bad configuration (CNAME chains are
technically against the rules), but RFC 1034 (or 1035) states that a
name server should tolerate this anyway. So even though the records
are against RFC, the name server's misbehavior is also against RFC.

Chris Buxton
Professional Services
Men & Mice