DDNS - Question of best practices.

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Wed Jun 4 17:11:38 UTC 2008

The only way that would work is if the "supervisory slave" were
actually master for the zone being dynamically updated. It could still
be slave for all static data.

Remember, a zone is identical between master and slaves. (The format
on disk might be different, but the servers will have the same data in
memory.) There is no way for the slaves to have a different version of
the zone. Therefore, if the "garbage" is part of the zone, then the
primary master for that zone must have it.

As a corollary, slaves cannot process dynamic updates other than to
forward them upstream, in the direction of the primary master.

Is there some reason you don't want your hidden master to contain the
data about student workstations?

Chris Buxton
Professional Services
Men & Mice