How to configure forwarder on BIND 4

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Thu Jul 31 23:09:07 UTC 2008

> There is no reason you can't make the BIND 4 box serve your authoritative
> domains, and forward anything it does not load/cache to a another DNS
> server.
> Had to grab the DNS an BIND 1st edition for this one but you should be able
> to do it with:
> forwarders 1.1.1.1 1.1.1.2 etc
> slave
>
> Slave is what BIND 4 used as forward only.

	But if you are going to "forward only;" you can use TSIG
	with 9.4.2 and secure your communication paths.  You will
	stop being a open recursive server by default.   When BIND
	9.4.3 is finalised you can upgrade to it or to BIND 9.5.2.

	The -P1s (and the upcoming -P2s) are stopgap measures until
	the betas stabilise.  They work for most sites most of the
	time however for large sites there will be more hand tuning
	involved potentially retuning the kernel to return more
	descriptors.

	Named has gone from using a small number of descriptors to
	using potentially very large numbers which will exceed the
	system's ability to supply them.  The problem is to work
	out good strategies to deal with the problem.  We are working
	on how to deal with the issue without making the security
	picture worse or degrading performance though it may come
	down to making a choice.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC