Forwarding

Walter Gould gouldwp at auburn.edu
Wed Jul 30 19:45:59 UTC 2008

Since I have had issues running 9.5.0-P1 on our primary DNS server, I
have been forwarding to a RHEL5 server.  However, I have been having
problems with that as well.  The RHEL5 server will answer queries for a
short period of time (around 5 minutes), but then it will stop resolving
names resulting in SERVFAIL errors.  I have enabled debugging in the
logs, but see nothing that indicates what may be happening or is going
wrong.

Also, I thought it might be an issue with the RHEL bind rpm
(bind-9.3.4-6.0.2.P1.el5_2), so I downloaded the 9.5.0-P1 source from
isc and compiled it.  And wouldn't you know, when I start it up, the
same freaking thing happens.  Answers request for a few minutes, then
just gives SERVFAIL.

With the same named.conf and zone files, named (9.5.0) runs fine on my
primary DNS server.  Does anybody have any ideas, suggestions, or
brilliant revelations of what might be causing this?

Thanks in advance,

Walter