Configuration with faked root wildcards and forward zones

Robert Fisher robert at sitestar.net
Wed Jul 30 16:11:23 UTC 2008

    The problem comes in, in that we also allow customers to pay via
PayPal.   I tried setting up a forward
zone entry -- but looking at the debug logs, it never sends a forward
request -- but instead just resolves
the wildcard entry.   I'm rather confused by this behaviour, as I
thought a specific zone entry should override
the wildcard as it behaves this way even after a restart of the named
daemon, thus ensuring the entries are
not in the server cache.

    What am I misunderstanding about how these two things work?

Below is my view.

view    "external"
{
        match-clients           { any; };
        match-destinations      { any; };

        recursion yes;

        zone "paypal.com" {
                type forward; forward only;
                // Same result whether I forward to paypal's NS records
or local DNS server.
                forwarders {
                        66.211.168.226;
                        66.211.168.227;