Post-build test fail on BIND 9, old system

Jarosław Rafa raj at ap.krakow.pl
Tue Jul 29 18:10:36 UTC 2008

Hello,
Due to recent exploits I have to upgrade to the newest version of BIND.
My DNS server is a quite old machine, running BIND 4 on Solaris 2.5.1. I
didn't upgrade because the OS lacks many libraries and syscalls and it's
hard to get newest versions of programs compiled under it. The machine
is about to be completely replaced by a new one running under Solaris 9,
but the migration is delaying due to various reasons and it can take
several months until it is finished. However, because of the recent
vulnerabilities, BIND has to be upgraded *now*.

And here I have some problem. I successfully compiled BIND 9.5.0-P1 on
my system, but when I run "make test" after the build, some of the tests
fail. The tests that fail are: cacheclean, forward, lwresd, rrsetorder
and upforwd (the same applies for BIND 9.4.2-P1). My question is: how
severe is this? Can something bad happen if I run the nameserver with
these tests failing or may I safely ignore this? I can send the detailed
test output if needed.

What else can I do to make BIND work all OK?
--
Regards,
    Jaroslaw Rafa
    raj at ap.krakow.pl