Problem getting "forwarders" section in named.conf.options to work

Adam Olsen arolsen at gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 22:12:47 UTC 2008

I'm having a bit of trouble with a few things in my configuration.  I
am trying to set up DNS for the sendoutcards.com domain, including
mail.

Here is my zone file:

$TTL    604800
@           IN      SOA ns2.sendoutcards.com. root.sendoutcards.com. (
           20080532     ; Serial
                         604800         ; Refresh
                          86400         ; Retry
                        2419200         ; Expire
                         604800 )       ; Negative Cache TTL
;

            MX  10  mail.sendoutcards.com.
            NS  ns2.sendoutcards.com.
nas1        NS  nas1.sendoutcards.com.

            A   206.71.90.5
www         A   206.71.90.5
mail        A   206.71.90.6
swetesoc    A   10.1.1.3
web4        A   10.1.1.11
carl        A   10.1.1.7
fs2         A   10.1.1.18
masterdb    A   10.1.1.12
slavedb     A   10.1.1.13
nappy       A   10.1.1.4
nas1        A   10.1.1.24

This is on the secondary dns server.  With this setup, I can ping
mail.sendoutcards.com, www.sendoutcards.com, but not plain
'sendoutcards.com'.  Also, if I set up a remote machine to use this
DNS server in /etc/resolv.conf, that machine cannot ping 'google.com'
(the log on the DNS server says 'query (cache) denied'.

I tried setting up forwarders {};  in named.conf.options to my ISP
assigned DNS servers, but if I do that, my zone file seems to get
ignored entirely.

I know I'm probably doing this wrong, but there are so many examples
on the net with so many different formats to use in the zone file.
Any help here would be appreciated.

--
Adam Olsen
SendOutCards.com