URGENT, PLEASE READ: 9.5.0-P1 now available

Emery Rudolph emery.rudolph at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 23:55:38 UTC 2008

The error ( a constant relentless swarm of these messages ) :
Jul 24 15:06:32 ns2 named[142]: [ID 873579 daemon.error] general: error:
socket: too many open file descriptors

It is my understanding that this error is not necessarily fatal if the
number of open ports is relatively stable ( <1000) and the system has
sufficient resources. Please clarify if this error is fixable in Solaris 9.
I have read other threads which indicate the problem was solved by
recompiling BIND after increasing the FD_SETSIZE limit, but on Solaris this
limit is already at 65535, so it seems this may work on Linux based systems
- not Solaris.

I guess what I am really searching for is solid guidance on this problem. It
seems that enough people have reported the same error enough that someone
should have a better handle on both the error and  a better understanding of
the root cause. It would seem easy enough to reproduce the error yourself
given the scope of the problem.

Pardon my impatience or shortness, but I am becoming frustrated (as are
many) that the errors are very commonly reported, but solid answers have not
been forthcoming. Is someone at ISC reproducing these errors?