Bind internal behavior when used as resolver

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Tue Jul 22 00:34:54 UTC 2008

Surya ARBY wrote:
> Hello all.
> I'm making a study about GSLB (Global Site Load Balancing) which is some kind of "advanced" load balancing based on DNS. To be exhaustive and to be sure to understand impacts on clients, I need to know how Bind behaves when used as resolver/caching system. In fact I couldn't find any reliable information on the Net, and the official documentation doesn't describe the internal processing of Bind.
>
> Here are my questions, I hope someone will be able to reply :-)

Frankly, this sounds like a homework assignment, rather than "real
world" questions.

I may be wrong on that, if so, pardon the rudeness of my responses, but
the point of studying a subject is to *learn* it, not just copy answers
from other people.

> - By default, does Bind honor the TTL value read in DNS answers ?

Set up a BIND instance and test this.
> - Is it possible to overwrite this TTL value to use another one defined by the local administrator ?

See max-cache-ttl in the documentation.
> - What is the behavior when TTL read is equal to 0 ? Can we be sure it doesn't cache ?

Set up a BIND instance and test this.
> - Is TTL overwriting often used ?

N/A.

> About Multiple IP Responses, when Bind sends a query for domain name (for example www.foo.com) and the reply contains multiple IP addresses, how does it behaves ?

Set up a BIND instance and test this.
> I read that Bind sends to the clients only one IP address took in the pool in a pseudo-random (Round Robin ?) fashion. Is it true ?

Set up a BIND instance and test this.
> Also, is Bind configurable to reply with all IP addresses to the client ? In this case, is the initial order of IP addresses received initially by Bind preserved ?
See rrset-order in the documentation.

- Kevin