Unexpected RCODE (15)

Simon Waters simonw at zynet.net
Mon Jul 21 11:08:09 UTC 2008

Has anyone investigated this specific error on recursive servers.

Since 15 is reserved I assume it is from broken name servers of some
description?

Got a lot more this morning, so I took a brief look.

I think these are all from lame authoritative servers running BIND (various
versions), which have recursion enabled.

I note there was a fix to BIND 8 that addresses incorrect RCODE leakage, but
not all the servers producing this error are running old versions of BIND
(AFAICT), but if they are doing a recursive lookup that might involve other
misconfigured DNS servers.