filtering results to subnets

Howard Wilkinson howard at cohtech.com
Sun Jul 20 11:24:34 UTC 2008

Robert Spangler wrote:
> On Saturday 19 July 2008 20:19, Barry Margolin wrote:
>

>>  In article <g5sup4$2gf7$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
>>
>>   Robert Spangler <mlists at zoominternet.net> wrote:
>>  > On Friday 18 July 2008 22:27, Jerome Haltom wrote:
>>  > >  I have a desire to filter A records returned to clients that are
>>  > > outside of certain subnets. Basically my zone has a lot of private
>>  > > addresses in it. I'm cool with this.
>>  >
>>  > How about using the View Option in Bind?
>>
>>  Did you read his entire message?  He explained why views doesn't apply:
>>  he's a slave to a Windows Active Directory.
>>
>>  To accomplish this they'd need to use separate zones for the public and
>>  private hostnames, so that the private stuff could be in an internal
>>  view.
>>

> Here is the issue, why would you have the slaves doing something different
> then the master?  You are just looking for issues.
>
> That is like saying if the answers come from server 'A' I want this to be
> returned but if the answer comes from server 'B' I want something different.
> That is just asking for resolve issues and a troubleshooting nightmare.

I have lost the original message but if I remember correctly then a
combination of views and some post-processing of the transferred zone
file may achieve waht is wanted here.
The internal view should be a slave of the Windows DNS server and serve
out the entire zone as required. A script would then be written to do a
zone transfer from the local server and generate a file with the
RFC1918(?) addresses removed. This file is then served from another view
as a master zone giving the answer required. The major problem with such
a scheme is getting a trigger to run the script when an updated zone is
transferred. This could be done from CRON by inspecting the serial
number on the internal zone and only running the update when it changes.
I suggest localhost to localhost transfers so as to not complicate the
security settings needed.

Apologies if this is noise but it is a solution I have used for other
similar problems elewhere.

Howard.