rbtdb assertion and segfault

JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 Jinmei_Tatuya at isc.org
Thu Jul 17 18:18:16 UTC 2008

At Thu, 17 Jul 2008 06:40:36 -0700,
Bob McElrath <bob_bind at mcelrath.org> wrote:

> After verifying that all library versions are the same, the crash still occurs.
> The backtrace is the same.  But note that line #2 probably indicates that the
> stack was damaged.

Could be, but such a line is not unusual even for a valid stack
trace.

> However the log message is slightly longer, perhaps it
> provides a clue.
>
> Jul 16 21:14:03 moya named[19051]: rbtdb.c:1147: INSIST(noderefs != 0) failed
> Jul 16 21:14:03 moya named[19051]: exiting (due to assertion failure)
> Jul 16 21:14:03 moya named[19051]: rbtdb.c:1174: REQUIRE(prev > 0) failed
> Jul 16 21:14:03 moya named[19051]: exiting (due to assertion failure)

It's a bit more informative, but without a valid stacktrace I don't
think we can chase it further.  I still suspect the executable binary
doesn't match the core, but if you are really really sure about that
but the backtrace is still bogus, and if possible, please rebuild
named by hand with a reasonable debug option (-g) and run it again.

Note also that

> > > This is on debian, the package version is 9.4.2-10, on a DEC/Compaq alphaserver.

this one may contain a debian specific patch, which may make debugging
difficult (because we may not be able to match the source code).

---
JINMEI, Tatuya
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.